.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

"I was Changed By Rock and Roll"

Musings on shows and introspective resolution. Yeah right.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Subways are the Last Big Thing

So last night was the first Spaceland evening in a while -- dressed in my new orange kicks, my Greg Storms jacket, and the Oceanic shirt to fit in, since I was seeing the O.C.'s favorite next-big-thing, The Subways.

Steve K. lives stumbling/rolling/walking distance from the club now, in one of those dope silverlake pads with a picture window. Glad to know someone in the hood for sure. Had a beer, went to the club.

In the corner: Greg S., who used to play with beck, and his A&R rep girlfriend. Todd N. and Rick G. sittin' up front. Music bizzers.

But lots of "indie" fans as well. And, like the band, they're mostly style, little substance. I mean, I get off on watching an enthusiastic, cute blonde bassist as much as anyone, but the sound is just raw raunchy rock. Nothing overwhelming. And "Rock and Roll Queen," while the best song the Vines never recorded, ain't gonna break down any barriers.

I guess that's not the point. The point is to sing along.

Caught up with Bronson on the way out, who felt the same as me. And he's got good taste. So I'm comfortable I'm not just being naive.

But someone thinks they're the Next Big Thing. And more power to them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home