.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

"I was Changed By Rock and Roll"

Musings on shows and introspective resolution. Yeah right.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

NYC, BSS, and the perils of freelancing

So I post from a Starbucks at Broadway and 81st, wondering what I'm doing back in NYC less than two months after the last time I was here, when I had a "reason" (CMJ) and a rhyme. OK, no rhyme.

Oh yeah: I'm here because I'm not working at all this month. And that's a bit frightening. It's like my fear of everyone realizing I'm a hack has come true and bit me in the ass. So I need to pick up some work, stat.

Yeah, it's the end of the fiscal year, so everyone's out of money, and, yes, I saved a lot of money this year for this very reason, 'cause the same thing happened last year, and, yes, I still have incoming checks from Maxim/Giant/LA.com to get me through the month without dipping into that savings account too much.

But still. The perils of freelancing.

And, of course, I only have one meeting scheduled. So if anyone knows any editors, by all means, let me know.

Last night: Broken Social Scene at the Henry Fonda. God, I'm so attracted/repulsed by indie rock girls. The whole anglular silverlake smoking thing is so hot from a distance and can be so despicable when you actually talk to those people. But some of them have good taste in music. Like Jamie's friend Jen, who couldn't have been more pretentious. She's "Over" death cab 'cause they're in commercials. Please. I really hope she has a secret Abba fetish or something.

But...still drawn in, once in a while. And the whole aesthetic there was so hip it almost made me hate the band, and almost made me love the band. In reality, the music's pretty fucking great -- way greater, in fact, then I remember it being at Coachella or ACL or when I saw them at Stubbs in Austin. Very danceable indie without being like Franz, with some noise-jams and a slightly jock-looking guitarist who can really play. And a horn section.

Gotta love the horn section.

Jamie K. took me to the show, which was nice 'cause I haven't seen her in like 6 months and haven't hung out with her in like a year-and-a-half. She's still half-with her ex so we talked about that a lot at dinner.

Shocking, really. Not like anyone else I know in LA. At all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home